Polycystic ovarian disease is a gynecological disorder, polycystic ovaries means that the ovaries develop more follicles than normal every month.Many young girls and middle-aged Indian women are suffering from this syndrome which is a marked by appearance of multiple cysts on ovaries and disturbances in monthly menstrual cycles.
Polycystic ovaries are mostly affected between the age of 15 to 20 years it causes An ovulation which leads to increase in Oestrogen and LH Levels and low FSH and LH Ratio It causes Insulin Resistance which means Your body needs more insulin than usual to regulate the levels of the sugar in the body. The Extra Insulin causes an Imbalance in the hormones that usually make your menstrual cycle to run smoothly.
- Irregular, Non-existent or infrequent periods within 3 or 4 years of starting to menstruate.
- Light or very heavy bleeding during your period
- Weight gain
- Weight loss
- Hirsuitism (Excessive hair growth to varying degrees on your face, chest and lower abdomen)
- Mild to moderate abdominal discomfort during periods
- Acne Vulgaris (pimples)
- Excessive skin growth on your neck or in your armpit, also called as skin tags.
- Bone pain (Arthralgia) and Hair loss (Alopecia),
- Thinning of Hair.
- Constipation, indigestion, flatulence
- Acanthosis (darkish discoloration in body folds)
Ayurveda Treatment: Treatment is PANCHAKARMA
Such as Vamanam, Virechanam, Astapanam and Anuvasanam are beneficial
Yogasanas for PCOS:
· Pavana Muktam
Diet & Lifestyle Advice:
- Low-fat milk is recommended. Boil milk before drinking. Drink it warm. This makes it easier to digest. Do not take milk with a full meal or with sour or salty foods. Add a pinch of turmeric or ginger to the milk before boiling it. This helps to reduce the kapha increasing qualities of the milk.
- Lighter fruits, such as apples, oranges, grape fruit, pineapple and papaya and pears, are recommended.
- Sweeteners: Honey is excellent for reducing kapha. Reduce the intake of sugar products, which increase kapha.
- Beans are recommended. Nuts should be avoided.
- Grains such as barley, chickpea and millet are recommended. Do not take too much wheat or rice, as they increase kapha.
- Spices are recommended only in moderate quantities.
- Follow a lifestyle that will not aggravate any dosha.
- Negative feelings like stress and tension should be avoided. Do not undertake physical or mental work beyond your capacity.
- Limit the use of contraceptives.
- Follow an active lifestyle, yet the exercises should be according to one’s capacity. Both, excessive fasting and overeating are harmful.
- Smoking, drinking alcohol and using narcotics aggravates menstrual disorders.