Depression is the state of feeling of complete dejection or rejection from everything. It is a mood disorders characterized by sadness. Unexplained anger, irritability, feeling of loneliness.
A feeling of lonely, sadness or happiness is part and parcel of everone’s life. However, when an individual suffers from the feeling of sadness continuously or on a regular basis then the condition can be termed as “DEPRESSION”
In ayurveda, depression is termed by the word ‘UNMADA’. The condition is mainly due to vata dosha variation. The term unmade refers to perversion I,e the buddhi (intellect), indriya (sense), manas (mind) of the affected individual gets affected.
Our Doctors in Sri Visista Super Speciality Ayurveda always there for psychological counselling and are best among psychiatric doctors. Visit our Branches in Hyderabad and Vishakapatnam or Book Appointment for Psychological Treatments such as Psychosis, Stress, Anxiety, Neurotic and Childhood Disorders etc.
Causes of Unmada / Depression
There are varied causes for depression. It can be biological / genetic or indirect causes / circumstantial. A positive family history increases the risk of depression among off springs.
Exposure to certain traumas like loss of loved one may trigger depression stats. Presence of any disease conditions like insomnia or ADHD may also trigger depression.
According to ayurveda, unmada or depression may trigger as a result of affection of mind with fear or sudden happiness and unwholesome physical or mental activities.
Ayurveda categories Unamada into 5 categories based on predominance of Dosha i.e, Vata, Pitta, Kapha, (Combination of 3), sannipatika, aguntaja (exogenous causes) which can be broadly grouped under two categories i.e
- Major depressive disorder
- Persistent depressive disorder
1. Major depressive disorder
It is a more severe form of depression where in major symptoms of depression persists for over a period of 2 weeks or more. Vataja, sannipatika, aguntaja unmade can be categorized under major depressive disorder.
2. Persistent Depressive Disorder
It is milder but chronic form of depression. If the symptoms of depression lasts for more than or equal to 2 years, then the condition can be termed as persistent depressive disorder. Pittaja & kaphaja unmada can be grouped under persistent depressive disorder.
The condition of depression can affect both body and mind. Mental symptoms includes
- Unexplained anger / aggressiveness / irritability
- Loss of interest
- Thought of suicide
- Difficulty concentrating
- Loss of pleasure in activities
Bodily symptoms includes
- Reduced sexual drive
- Insomnia or excess sleep
- Easy exhaustion
- Irregular bowel habits
Ayurveda offers variety of treatment both panchakarma and oral medications. Oral medications / shamana aushadies can be provided depending on the condition of the patient. Panchakarma therapies like nasya, shiro vasthi, matra vasthi, shiro dhara, sarvanga dhara, abhyangam are a few to mention.
Diet and life style
Ayurveda firmly believes that healthy food habits are on of the way of leading healthy life style or good health
- Fresh vegetables and fruits are to be consumed in excess
- Binge eating should be avoided
- Artificial sweets like chocolates are to be avoided
- Natural sweets like jiggery can be consumed instead
- Iinvolvement in physical activity for over a period of 1 hour / day is ideal
- Proactive of asanas like suryanamaskar, sarvangasana, bhujangasana is beneficial
- Pranayama’s like suryabhedi, kapalabaasthi is beneficial
- Involvement in healthy discussion is highly advisable
- Talking heart out whether right or wrong is one of the significant way to avoid depression
- Healthy mind in a healthy body, healthy body with a healthy food. Hence fresh home prepared healthy food to be consumed
- Binge eating to be replaced with rhythmic eating activities to prevent obesity
- Sleep pattern to be monitored and a good quality of 8 hours of sleep is recommended
- Spend quality of time with family members
- Understand, console, support the depressed individual
- Boost the confidence and morale of the depressed individual